This is a meaty role where you can make a tremendous impact on the lives of other adults through education.
Would friends, colleagues, and other people close to you describe you as kind, patient, empathetic?
Do you easily build relationships because of your strong communication and interpersonal skills?
Does it set you on fire to help and see others succeed?
If so, this role might be a fit for you. Our volunteer mentors are generally mature adults (age 25+). They come from all professional backgrounds; many have no formal teaching experience. They each bring special talents:
– strong proficiency in reading or writing
– enjoy teaching math or excellent knowledge of math used on trades job sites ie. imperial measurement, trigonometry, geometry, reading blueprints, mechanical aptitude
– keen interests in certain course topics to work through high school course credits
– digitally savvy and comfortable using/teaching Microsoft software
– experience using digital tools like tablets and smartphones and their capabilities
– strong financial background and able to teach financial literacy basics
What will you do?
– matched with an adult learner 18+ for one-to-one, personalized instruction
– create engaging lesson plans and resources to make learning enjoyable and effective- supported by Literacy Lambton’s instruction team
– bring a positive attitude to boost learner confidence and motivation
Apply at www.literacylambton.org/volunteer
All volunteers undergo an interview and on-boarding process.
Clear police/vulnerable sector record check is required as well as the completion of online training ie. AODA
Second interview with adult instruction team will ensure strong matches for both mentor and learners